Thursday, September 15

Working Online! Working at Home!

Everytime people ask me where I work now, I just tell them that I work online. Yes, online. My job is online, in the comfort of my own home. I get to take care of my baby while I’m on the job and I get to work at my own time, anytime. I work through oDesk.
So what is oDesk and how do you earn in oDesk? This is how oDesk describe it:

“oDesk is the marketplace for online workteams, with the best business model for both employers and contractors. Our unique approach guarantees to employers that an hour billed is an hour worked, while guaranteeing to contractors that an hour worked is an hour paid.
This win-win approach attracts more work to oDesk than to any other online work marketplace. Each month, thousands of companies of all sizes post jobs on oDesk, representing more than $65,000,000. At the same time, hundreds of thousands of top-notch professionals, including web developers, software programmers, graphic designers, writers, customer service representatives and virtual assistants, offer their services through oDesk.
With an average job size of $5,000, oDesk is the best place to find meaningful work and top-flight talent. More than doubling in size each year since 2004, oDesk is where companies are building their entire organizations online and is the primary source of income for thousands of contractors. oDesk is truly changing how the world works.”

But if you would ask me, I would say, oDesk is similar to jobstreet(if your familiar with it). Employers post job openings and Contractors apply for it. Jobs are categorized as Web Development, Software Development, Networking & Information Systems,  Writing & Translation, Administrative Support, Design & Multimedia, Sales & Marketing, Customer Service, and Business Services. These Categories are even sub-categorized on specific skills. Say, in Administrative Support there’s Data Entry, Personal Assistant, Web Research, Email Response Handling, and Transcription. You just need to browse the job you know you can do. Write a good cover letter and hit apply.  When the employer likes your cover letter and your profile, you will receive an interview invitation. It’s just like to give you more detailed information of the job and for you to confirm if you really can do it. If you now have an agreement, the employer will start your contract and you start the job. Unlike with jobstreet, when the employer likes you, you get invited to visit the company for an interview. Here, everything happens online. 

How much one earns in oDesk? It depends on how much you would bid and on your contract. You are the one who will give your rate. Just be honest if you can do the job or not. Some contracts are paid hourly some contracts are fixed-priced. If your ready to withdraw and use your earnings, oDesk offers various payment method. I use Local Fund Transfer, my earnings go directly to my bank account. Other options are through Payoneer Debit Card,  Moneybookers, Paypal, Direct Deposit/ACH and Wire Transfer. But the most convenient way would surely be the Local Fund Transfer if I must say.

These are just the basic information for oDesk, next post Ill be sharing my personal tips in getting a job and in working in oDesk. And I might just share to you my payslip. And if you are interested to sign up, be sure to select "Freelance Contractor" if you're looking for a job and select "Employer" if you're looking for people to work for you.

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow Me

Google+

 

Sane Insanity Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon