Monday, March 5

Lactum 1-3 or Nido Junior?

So I have been searching for the best but affordable milk I could give my baby. I have been mix feeding Sofie when she was already 6th month old. Ive given her different kinds of milk already, and its a good thing she is not picky and so is her stomach. I actually settled for Lactum 1-3, since its the milk of my niece when she was a year old and I believe she gained weight with Lactum 1-3. I even got bummed out when my sister bought a big can of Nido Junior instead of Lactum 1-3 for my baby just because her officemate's neice is chubby, cute and adorable.

Anyway, I finally got discontented with Lactum 1-3 as it seems to me that Sofie isn't gaining weight and because of that I feel that Sofie isn't getting the nutrition she needs. This probably has less to do with gaining weight, but I still want to see Sofie looking healthy and cute. lol

So from my (informal) "research", I learned that more and more mothers are switching to Nido Junior. I don't really know the reason, but there has been a lot of positive feedback with it. I've been giving Sofie Nido Junior for a month now, and she is doing well with it.

I always check the ingredients of the products I buy or in this case for milk I check its nutrient value. Tonight, since I'm left here without any work to do, I decided to compare the Nutrient value of both milk, since I still have the box of Lactum 1-3 and Nido Junior.

This table shows the nutrient value per 100g powder.


Nutrient Value Unit Lactum Nido
Food Energy kcal 436 463
Protein g 15 17
Fat g 14 20.2
Linoleic Acid mg 180 3500
a-Linolenic Acid mg 430
Docosahexaenoic Acid mg 7.8
Carbohydrate g 64 53
Minerals (Ash) g 4.4
Water g 2.6
Oligosaccharides g 3
DHA mg 29
Vitamin A IU 1200 1200
Vitamin D IU 330 185
Vitamin E IU 6 7.5
Vitamin K mcg 11 19
Thiamin mcg 450
Riboflavin mcg 700
Vitamin B6 mcg 540 380
Vitamin B12 mcg 0.91 0.69
Niacin mcg 6500 6500
Folic Acid mcg 35 150
Panthothenic Acid mcg 2200 2200
Biotin mcg 13 37
Vitamin C mg 40 40
Calcium mg 650 830
Phosphorus mg 420 435
Magnesium mg 56 58
Sodium mg 158 205
Potassium mg 650 611
Chloride mg 330 510
Iodine mcg 72 50
Iron mg 9 7
Zinc mg 4.4 4.5
Manganese mcg 530
Copper mcg 300
Taurine mg 44 40
Choline mg 40
Dietary Fiber g 3

The ingredients listed are
Lactum 1-3: Whole Milk Powder, Corn, Syrup Solids, Sucrose, Non-fat Milk Powder, blend of Inulin and Oligofructose, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Phosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide and Zinc Sulfate), encapsulated DHA Marine Oil Powder, Vitamins (Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Folic Acid, Niacinamide, Phytonadione, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, and Vitamin A Palmitate) and Taurine

Nido Junior: Skimmed Milk, Vegetable Oils (may contain one or more of the following: Corn Oil, Rapeseed Oil or Palm Olein) Corn Syrup, Sucrose, Milk Fat, Lactose, Honey, Oligofructose, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin K), Taurine, Lactobacillus Culture, Vanilline and Bifidus Culture.

Judging from the table I have made, it seems that Lactum is a better choice, but there are still other nutrients that are just in Nido Junior and some of of its nutrients has much more value than Lactum 1-3. Anyway, Im not good at this so you be the judge (or maybe let the nutritionist or your pediatrician be the judge.. lol).

Mom's out there which do you think is better? Lactum 1-3 or Nido Junior?

6 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow Me

Google+

 

Sane Insanity Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon